The Information Centre.Here we provides useful information about buying and selling property in St. Lucia.The information shown below is a guide only and while we have endeavored to show accurate information we do not guarantee its accuracy.
If you are Buying a Property:
- There is no Property Transfer Tax for buyers.
- Buyers Legal Fees - Approximately 1.5% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT).
- Mortgage Down Payment - Usually a minimum of 10%, but can be as low as 0%.
- Mortgage Repayment Time - Up to 30 Years or until the borrower reaches 65 years of age.
- Mortgage Interest Rate - Range from 6% to 9%
- Mortgage commitment fee and negotiation fee - Ranges from 0.5% to 3%.
- Life Insurance - This is usually required if you need a mortgage.
- Annual Land Tax
- On the initial $190,000 - 0%
- On the next $310,000 - 0.10%
- On the next $750,000 - 0.45%
- On the excess of $1,250,000 - 0.75%
- For additional information please click on the following link: http://www.landtax.gov.sl/Rates.html
- Annual Property Insurance
- 0.4% for a residence
- 0.6% for commercialbuildings
- 0.9% for hotels
If you are Selling a Property
- Property Transfer Tax for land only - 2.5% of the Purchase Price.
- Property Transfer Tax for house and land - first $125,000 exempt, 2.5% on the excess.
- Legal fees - Approximately 1.5 to 2% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT).
- Stamp Duty - 1% of the Purchase Price
- Land Surveyor's fee - Approximately BDS$1,500.00 (plus 17.5%VAT)
- Real Estate Commission - Normally 5% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT)
- Early mortgage termination fee - There is normally a fee when a mortgage is terminated before the agreed time period.
For Non Nationals of St. Lucia
- In 1998 the government abolished property transfer tax for non-nationals of St. Lucia.
- It is necessary for a non-national purchaser to remit the purchase price to St. Lucia in a foreign currency. It is then converted into St. Lucia currency and registered with the Exchange Control Authority of St. Lucia. This is to facilitate a subsequent repatriation of funds if the property is sold.
Exchange Control Authority permission is also necessary for the purchase itself. This is usually a formality once the purchase monies have been registered.
- US Dollar loans are available to non-residents from FirstCaribbean International Bank for up to 60% of the value of the property over a term of up to 15 years.
- Property is passed by conveyance* of title, which is evidenced by the recording of title deeds and certified survey plans at the registry of title.
- Once the purchaser has agreed to buy, and the vendor have agreed to sell, a legal contract has to be drawn up by a lawyer in St. Lucia, which provides for a deposit to be made to secure the property.
- The vendor's attorney holds this deposit in escrow** until completion of the sale when the balance of the purchase price is paid and the title passes to the purchaser by way of the conveyance.
- The purchaser will require a registered Barbadian attorney to search the register and establish title to the property prior to the completion of sale to ensure that there are no encumbrances, charges, encroachments or other impediments to the sale.
- It will normally take 2-3 months for all the legal issues to be resolved.
*Conveyance - A written document, which transfers property from one person to another.
**Escrow - The money is held in the attorney's bank account until the completion of the sale.
Some of our most Frequently asked questions:
Q. How do I add pictures to my Premium listing after creating the listing?
A. You can add your pictures by clicking on the address of your property in your Management Centre. Scroll down to the bottom of the "Edit My Deluxe Listing" page and click "Save Changes". You will then go to a new page where you have the option to "Change Pictures". To add a picture click on "Browse" and find your picture on your computers directory. Click "Open" and then click "Send Picture".You can repeat this process for your other 2 pictures.
Q. How many Kb should my property picture files be?
A. A good file size is between 30 to 50Kb. If your files are bigger and you do not have the software to reduce the size, then send them anyway. We will reduce the size for you.
If they are very large (Mb), and it takes more than 4 minutes to send your pictures, then your session will time out. If this happens send your pictures by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will reduce the file size and insert them into your advert for you.
Q. How big should my pictures be?
A. Your property pictures are each displayed in their own window. 8 inches wide by 6 inches high is a good size, but the choice is yours.
A file size of 50 KB is a good size.
Q. What format should my picture files have?
A. They should be .jpg format. Example: "house.jpg". Please, no spaces or special characters in the filenemes. If you are looking for a good free editor go to www.irfanview.com and select the download link.
Q. Do I need to have my property pictures ready on my computer before creating a Premium Listing?
A. No. You can always add them later. If you do not have a digital camera or scanner, then mail your prints to us. We will scan them for you and insert them into your advert.
Q. How much is a Premium Listing?
A. BDS$85.00 per month.
Q. Where's my property listing?
A. If you have just entered the information for your property and are wondering why it is not displayed on our lists, the reason is this. We verify that all the contact information is correct and that the information that you have entered is suitable for public viewing. Once we have completed this process your ad will be displayed on our lists.
Q. Why does my session time out sometimes in "My Account"?
A. If you do not change the page that you are on for 20 minutes or more, then your session will time out and you will have to logon again. This is necesary because each session takes up memory on our server. If we did not do this our server would run more slowly.
Q. What should I do if I rent or sell my property?
A. We ask that you change the status of your property from "Available" to "Sold" or "Rented" from the Management Centre and then after 2 weeks delete the listing.
Q. Is Cariblist a real estate company?
A. No. Cariblist is a site where Agents and individuals list properties. If you make a query, it goes to the property lister, who will then contact you.
Q. What are the costs of buying and selling property in Barbados?
A. We have prepared a comprehensive guide to buying and selling property in Barbados. This is displayed in the "Information Centre".
Q. Why do I need a lawyer ?
A. To convey your property to you as well a checking that all titles etc. are in order. If you have a mortgage you will also need legal representation to secure the mortgage.
Q. Do I need life insurance ?
A. Most lenders do indeed require life insurance to at least the value you that you are borrowing. Term insurance is a cheaper option.
Q. Are there any charges for a Free Listing.
A. No. It is completely Free.
Cariblist Terms and conditions of service.
1. MEMBER ACCOUNTS AND PRIVACY CONSIDERATIONS - To open an account, you
must choose an account name and a password. You will then need to complete
the registration process by providing us with current, complete and accurate
information as required on the Customer Information Page. You are entirely
responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account.
Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that
occur under your account. You agree to notify Cariblist immediately of
any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security.
Such infringements should be reported to email@example.com.
2. MEMBER CONDUCT - As a condition of your use of the Service, you warrant to that you will not use the Service for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices. . Any unauthorized commercial use of the Service, or the resale of its services, is expressly prohibited. You agree to abide by all applicable local, national and international laws and regulations and are solely responsible for all acts or omissions that occur under your account or password, including the content of your transmissions through the Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to: Publish, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information. Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others as to the identity of the sender or the origin of a message. Transmit or upload any material that contains viruses, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs, or any other harmful or deleterious programs. Transmit or upload any material that contains software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, rights of privacy or publicity or any other applicable law unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents. Interfere with or disrupt networks connected to the Service or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks. Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service, through password mining or any other means. Violate any applicable laws or regulations including, without limitation, laws regarding the transmission of technical data through the service. Interfere with another member's use and enjoyment of the Service or another individual's or entity's use and enjoyment of similar services. Cariblist reserves the right at all times to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
3. LISTING LIMITATIONS - Cariblist currently offers 2MB of free storage space. Keep your account below this limit, or Cariblist administrators may need to remove some listings, and these cannot be recovered. You agree that Cariblist is not responsible or liable for the deletion or failure to store listingss or other information.
4. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES - Some links included on the Cariblist pages may let you leave the service web site("linked sites"). These sites are not under the control of Cariblist and Cariblist is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites. Cariblist is not responsible for any webcasting or any other form of of transmission recieved from any linked site. Thes links are provided only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Cariblist of the site or any association with their operators.
6. INDEMNIFICATION - You agree to indemnify and hold Cariblist, and all subsidiaries, affiliates, officers and employees, harmless from any claim, demand, or damage, including attorneys' fees, asserted by any third party due to or arising out of your use of or conduct on the Service.
7. TERMINATION - Cariblist may terminate your access to any part or all of the Service and any related service(s) at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, for any reason whatsoever. Cariblist may also terminate or suspend your account for inactivity, which is defined as failing to sign-in to the Service for more than sixty (60) days. Upon termination of the Service, your right to use the Service immediately ceases. If you wish to terminate your account, your only recourse is to discontinue the use of the Service. Cariblist shall have no obligation to maintain any content in your account or to forward any unread or unsent messages to you or any third party.
8. PARTICIPATION IN PROMOTIONS OF ADVERTISERS - Any dealings with Advertisers on the Service or participation in promotions, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the Advertiser or other third party. Cariblist shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.
9. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS TO CONTENT - You acknowledge that content, including but not limited to text, software, music, sound, photographs, video, graphics or other material contained in either sponsor advertisements or electronically distributed, commercially produced information presented to you by the Service, by Cariblist, or Cariblist’s Advertisers or other content providers, is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws. You may make a copy of this content for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided that you keep all copyright and other proprietary notices intact. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way content available through the Service and its associated Web sites, including code and software.
11. GENERAL - This agreement is governed by the laws of St. Lucia. Use of the Service is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of these terms and conditions, including without limitation in this paragraph. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and Cariblist as a result of this agreement or use of the service.
12. Refund Policy - If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, within 7 days from the purchase date, we will fully refund the cost of your order.