If you are Buying a Property:
There is no Property Transfer Tax for buyers.
Buyers Legal Fees - Approximately 1.5% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT).
Mortgage Down Payment - Usually a minimum of 10%, but can be as low as 0%.
Mortgage Repayment Time - Up to 30 Years or until the borrower reaches 65 years of age.
Mortgage Interest Rate - Range from 6% to 9%
Mortgage commitment fee and negotiation fee - Ranges from 0.5% to 3%.
Life Insurance - This is usually required if you need a mortgage.
Annual Land Tax
On the initial $190,000 - 0%
On the next $310,000 - 0.10%
On the next $750,000 - 0.45%
On the excess of $1,250,000 - 0.75%
For additional information please copy & paste thefollowing link into your browser: http://www.landtax.gov.bb/Rates.html
Annual Property Insurance
0.4% for a residence
0.6% for commercialbuildings
0.9% for hotels
If you are Selling a Property
Property Transfer Tax for land only - 2.5% of the Purchase Price.
Property Transfer Tax for house and land - first $125,000 exempt, 2.5% on the excess.
Legal fees - Approximately 1.5 to 2% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT).
Stamp Duty - 1% of the Purchase Price
Land Surveyor's fee - Approximately BDS$1,500.00 (plus 17.5%VAT)
Real Estate Commission - Normally 5% of the Purchase Price (plus 17.5% VAT)
Early mortgage termination fee - There is normally a fee when a mortgage is terminated before the agreed time period.
For Non Nationals of Barbados
In 1998 the government abolished property transfer tax for non-nationals of Barbados.
It is necessary for a non-national purchaser to remit the purchase price to Barbados in a foreign currency. It is then converted into Barbados currency and registered with the Exchange Control Authority of Barbados. This is to facilitate a subsequent repatriation of funds if the property is sold.
Exchange Control Authority permission is also necessary for the purchase itself. This is usually a formality once the purchase monies have been registered.
Some local Banks may offer US Dollar loans to non-residents.
Property is passed by conveyance* of title, which is evidenced by the recording of title deeds and certified survey plans at the registry of title.
Once the purchaser has agreed to buy, and the vendor have agreed to sell, a legal contract has to be drawn up by a lawyer in Barbados, which provides for a deposit to be made to secure the property.
The vendor's attorney holds this deposit in escrow** until completion of the sale when the balance of the purchase price is paid and the title passes to the purchaser by way of the conveyance.
The purchaser will require a registered Barbadian attorney to search the register and establish title to the property prior to the completion of sale to ensure that there are no encumbrances, charges, encroachments or other impediments to the sale.
It will normally take 2-3 months for all the legal issues to be resolved.
*Conveyance - A written document, which transfers property from one person to another.
**Escrow - The money is held in the attorney's bank account until the completion of the sale.
A. Cariblist is a real Estate portal site. We provide search facilities for:
- Property for sale in Barbados
- Property for rent in Barbados
- Visitor accommodation in Barbados
We list sale property, rental property and short term rental property for real estate agents and individuals in Barbados. We offer free listings with limited data, and full listings which contain much more data, a map location, up to 10 photos/property. We offer listing packages that allow a single listing, typically for individuals, up to packages for unlimited listings for real estate agents.
Listers set up their accounts themselves, pay subscriptions online, and add and manage their own listings. Prospective buyuers or renters contact the lister directly, and Cariblist receives No commission on any transactions apart from the monthly subscription. Communication takes place directly between the interested parties. We have a User Guide link on our home page which provides information on adding an account and subscribing and maintaining properties. If you have any information, please email us.
A. No. Cariblist is a site where Agents and individuals list properties. If you make a query, it goes to the property lister, who will then contact you.
A. We have prepared a comprehensive guide to buying and selling property in Barbados. This is displayed in the "Information Centre".
A. To convey your property to you as well a checking that all titles etc. are in order. If you have a mortgage you will also need legal representation to secure the mortgage.
A. Most lenders do indeed require life insurance to at least the value you that you are borrowing. Term insurance is a cheaper option.
A. We ask that you change the status of your property from "Available" to "Sold" or "Rented" from the Property Master, and then select the 'Sold' button to flag it as sold.
A. If you do not change the page that you are on for 20 minutes or more, then your session will time out and you will have to logon again. This is necesary because each session takes up memory on our server. If we did not do this our server would run more slowly.
A. Yes. You need at least one image to create a listing. If you wish, we can provide you with a graphic that says 'Photos coming soon' if you have not yet received photos, and it can be deleted once you have photos to upload. Email us and request one.
A. They should be .jpg format. Example: "house.jpg". Please, no spaces or special characters in the filenames. If you are looking for a good free editor go to www.irfanview.com and select the download link. Images for display on the Internet should be 72 pixels/inch resolution. This allows the images to upload and download efficiently and quickly.
Larger images will be of better quality, although images bigger than 2 megabytes will reduce the system's performance and slow everything down.
A. Once you have saved the listing, it should be visible in your dashboard and Property Master summary list.
Log into Cariblist and select the grey Edit button for the listing you wish to change. Once the property details are visible. click on 'Choose Files' and browse to the folder where your pictures are, select the ones that you wish to upload using Shift/Click or Ctrl/Click, then press the Upload button. You can preview and/or delete pictures from the image preview that appears when you press the Preview button.
A. No. It is completely Free.
Early on March 20, 2017 Our site underwent a major upgrade. For a user (someone who is looking for property) the biggest new faclity is the ability to save searches. To do so, you need to register with us, and save your search by pressing the blue 'Save Search' button. Once you have done so, you will be automatically notified via email minutes after anyone adds a property which meets your search criteria, For customers, who list properties with us, the list of new faclities is too long to include here; have a look at our User Guide for more details.
As of July 2018, we have listings in Barbados, St. Lucia and Dominica. If you are a realtor or a lister anywhere else in the Caribbean who would like to list with us, please send us an email at email@example.com and give us your contact information, and we will be in touch.
Our standard free listing package allows two listings. The amount of data that you can enter is severely restricted to differentiate between free and paid listings. If you have a free listing account you can upgrade at any time with no loss of data by selecting the 'Upgrade Package' option from the menu on the left side of your dashboard.
To access Advance Search options, simply click on the Advanced button in the bottom of the search box. Note that the category you are searching on needs to be set by selecting the appropriate tab at the top of the box first.
1. MEMBER ACCOUNTS AND PRIVACY CONSIDERATIONS - To open an account, you must choose an account name and a password. You will then need to complete the registration process by providing us with current, complete and accurate information as required on the Customer Information Page. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account. You agree to notify Cariblist immediately of any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security. Such infringements should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. MEMBER CONDUCT - As a condition of your use of the Service, you warrant to that you will not use the Service for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices. . Any unauthorized commercial use of the Service, or the resale of its services, is expressly prohibited. You agree to abide by all applicable local, national and international laws and regulations and are solely responsible for all acts or omissions that occur under your account or password, including the content of your transmissions through the Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to: Publish, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information. Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others as to the identity of the sender or the origin of a message. Transmit or upload any material that contains viruses, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs, or any other harmful or deleterious programs. Transmit or upload any material that contains software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, rights of privacy or publicity or any other applicable law unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents. Interfere with or disrupt networks connected to the Service or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks. Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service, through password mining or any other means. Violate any applicable laws or regulations including, without limitation, laws regarding the transmission of technical data through the service. Interfere with another member's use and enjoyment of the Service or another individual's or entity's use and enjoyment of similar services. Cariblist reserves the right at all times to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
3. LISTING LIMITATIONS - Cariblist currently offers 2MB of free storage space. Keep your account below this limit, or Cariblist administrators may need to remove some listings, and these cannot be recovered. You agree that Cariblist is not responsible or liable for the deletion or failure to store listingss or other information.
4. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES - Some links included on the Cariblist pages may let you leave the service web site("linked sites"). These sites are not under the control of Cariblist and Cariblist is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites. Cariblist is not responsible for any webcasting or any other form of of transmission recieved from any linked site. Thes links are provided only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Cariblist of the site or any association with their operators.
6. INDEMNIFICATION - You agree to indemnify and hold Cariblist, and all subsidiaries, affiliates, officers and employees, harmless from any claim, demand, or damage, including attorneys' fees, asserted by any third party due to or arising out of your use of or conduct on the Service.
7. TERMINATION - Cariblist may terminate your access to any part or all of the Service and any related service(s) at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, for any reason whatsoever. Cariblist may also terminate or suspend your account for inactivity, which is defined as failing to sign-in to the Service for more than sixty (60) days. Upon termination of the Service, your right to use the Service immediately ceases. If you wish to terminate your account, your only recourse is to discontinue the use of the Service. Cariblist shall have no obligation to maintain any content in your account or to forward any unread or unsent messages to you or any third party.
8. PARTICIPATION IN PROMOTIONS OF ADVERTISERS - Any dealings with Advertisers on the Service or participation in promotions, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the Advertiser or other third party. Cariblist shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.
9. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS TO CONTENT - You acknowledge that content, including but not limited to text, software, music, sound, photographs, video, graphics or other material contained in either sponsor advertisements or electronically distributed, commercially produced information presented to you by the Service, by Cariblist, or Cariblist’s Advertisers or other content providers, is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws. You may make a copy of this content for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided that you keep all copyright and other proprietary notices intact. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way content available through the Service and its associated Web sites, including code and software.
11. GENERAL - This agreement is governed by the laws of Barbados. Use of the Service is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of these terms and conditions, including without limitation in this paragraph. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and Cariblist as a result of this agreement or use of the service.
Letchworth Complex, The Garrison, St. Michael
Barbados, West Indies